Pizza Dough recipe
Here is our Pizza Dough Recipe that works! We use this dough recipe with great success.
(Makes 6ish 25cm pizzas) Roll or hand stretch dough out to approximately 3mm thick. We hand stretch but it is up to you as you may want to just use a roller. Hand stretched dough has more of a traditional look and texture and is preferred by many. Give it a go!
4 cups high-grade flour (many options and many types so experiment) Tipo 00 Flour is Italy’s favourite. 00 flour when stretched stays stretched and doesn’t spring back like standard flour.
2 teaspoon dry yeast ( bread makers yeast a MUST) try different brands as they give different results. ALWAYS CHECK EXPIRY
1 or 2 teaspoon salt. The more salt the stronger the flour.
1 & ⅔ or 2 cups warm water. You can adjust this by teaspoon amounts to suit your flour brand and type.
2 tablespoon good quality olive oil
1. Pour warm water into a bowl
2. Add yeast and allow to sit in a warm place for 10 minutes
3. Add flour, oil and combine until evenly mixed (add salt as late as possible as it effects the yeast over time)
4. Kneed the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Or a bread maker on dough only. Make sure dough is still a little sticky so dry hands with flour only works.
5. Create dough balls approx 200- 250 grams in size. Neatly form the balls by folding and place separately with space between them to expand on or in a container which must be covered. Make sure to cover dough balls. We use a large click-clack container.
6. Leave in a dry place until raised. Hours or even days. You can also oil the dough balls to stop it creating a skin if no container used. The dough needs time to rise and create air bubbles within itself. Experiment with timing at this stage. The dough will raise when at room temp.
7. Either hand stretch or roll the dough. There are several techniques for hand stretching so have a look online and find one that works for you. Tipo 00 flour is much easier to hand stretch then normal standard flour.
8. Flour your pizza board before placing stretched dough onto it and adding toppings. The pizza will then slide straight off your board and into your Authentic Oven. Oven temp should be around 350 Degree C on the hearth. Use infrared to check temp of hearth.
Dough made in the same day can be frozen and used at a later stage.
To make this pizza dough recipe in the bread maker simply add ingredients, set machine to dough setting and wait until dough has risen. Adjusting mixture to suit you is recommended but always have this recipe as a back up.
Good luck! Have fun
From the team at Authentic Oven